Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Fun with Abbreviations

Ever have one of those days at work where you've got to make an abbreviation and all efforts produce unacceptable answers? Think PZ Myers referring to Expelled associate producer Mark Mathis as the "Ass. Prod." Apologies for the technical actuaria

So I’m sitting here working and need to abbreviate an ultimate incurred IBNR estimate. So first I try:

Ultest

But it looks too much like Ul test, like some sort of Uber test, so maybe if I substitute Inc for Ult:

Incest

Yeah, that’d go over big in the meetings (to think nothing of UltIncest). Then I try:

UltIBNRest

Hmmm, don’t want to have ‘rest’ in there. Finally I settle on:

UltIBNRinc.

I fear for the first person in a meeting who asks me why I didn’t pick something more intuitive. I haven’t wrestled with an abbreviation this much since I became an Actuarial Associate. Somehow Act. Ass. didn’t work for me.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

I think reducing associate producer to ass. prod. was perfectly acceptable in that case.

Potsie said...

Ultimate
Reserve
INcurred
Estimate