Friday, May 18, 2007

Falwell Compilations

For those of you looking for less-than-fawning commentary on Jerry Falwell's life and death, I've listed some below. But first I'll regail you with my first Jerry Falwell moment. I was attending the local beauty pageant in the small Texas town where I was sentenced to high school, and I was sitting with a friend a few rows directly in front of the MCs podium. The girls had just finished their routine and were backstage getting ready for the next one, and it fell to the MC to keep us entertained. He thought he'd start with a joke:

"So Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, and Oral Roberts were flying in a plane together, and it crashed on the Mexican border and they all died". At this point he paused for a quick sip of water, which gave me just enough time to loudly clap and yell "YAY!!!!!!!!".

Chaos ensued for a few moments. Half the audience laughed, the other half was aghast. A friend seated in the back said to his girlfriend (referring to me) "that had to be him", my friend sitting next to me tried to crawl under the chairs, and some old lady sitting behind me actually smacked me in the back of the head and scolded "That's TERRIBLE! TERRIBLE!".

The MC never finished his joke. Oh well, two down...


via Pharyngula: Christopher Hitchens on Fox

via Pharyngula: Christopher Hitchens on CNN

via Pharyngula Roy singing Jerry's praises

via Living the Scientific Life selected quotes

via Dispatches hypocritical quotes

Bill Maher

I'll add more as I find them. And in case you can't make it out, what Hitchens says at the end of the Fox piece is "If you gave Falwell an enima, you could bury him in a matchbox."

No comments: